Moving can be one of the most stressful events in a client’s life. Having a bullet-proof plan from inventory to moving day can relieve much of the stress. Here are some ideas to consider in planning ahead:
Two Months Before Your Move
- Start calling moving companies for an in-home estimate. Be sure to get your estimate, date and time in writing.
- Contact your insurance company for coverage for moved items. Do you have coverage in transit?
- If you are doing the move yourself, reserve a truck.
- Order moving supplies like boxes and tape online. It is much cheaper.
- Or, start hunting down boxes.
- It is helpful to know the room dimensions of your new home. If your furniture won’t fit, there is no use moving it.
- This is a great time to make an inventory list and begin decluttering.
One Month Before Your Move
- Confirm your moving plans with your mover.
- Declutter, donate or sell items that you no longer need. It’s costly to move items no longer in use.
- Start packing.
- Label boxes with contents and the destination in your new home.
- Label extension cords and electronic outlets carefully. It will help when reconnecting them in your new home.
- Arrange going away parties.
Two Weeks Before Your Move
- Re-confirm your move. You can never follow-up too many times. A mis-communication could be disastrous!
- Make a list and contact information of everyone who needs to be notified about your change of address: Post Office, credit card companies, banks, insurance companies (health, life, car), Stock Broker, Attorney, Investment Adviser, utility company, cable company, magazine subscription, newspaper, etc.
One Week Before Your Move
- Continue packing.
- Once your loan has been approved and your closing has been confirmed, notify everyone of your new address.
- Contact your utility company for transfer of service from you to the new owner,
Two days before your move
- Defrost your freezer.
- Clean our your refrigerator, leaving only things you want to take with you.
- Dust and Clean the rooms that have been emptied and that you are no longer using.
- Pack an overnight kit with essential supplies (snacks, clothing, toiletries, scissors, tape, first aid kit and medications).
- Disconnect all remaining appliances. Keep the power cords with the item.
- Box up the last few items you needed for the last couple of days.
- You should be organized by now, so that all you have to do is direct the movers.
If You Are Moving Out Of Town
- Get copies of medical and dental records and prescriptions for your family and your pets.
- Get copies of children’s school records for transfer.
- Consider special car needs for pets when traveling.
- Let a friend or relative know your route.
- Carry Traveler’s checks or an ATM card for ready cash until you can open a new bank account.
- Empty your safety deposit box.